Instant Khattu Athanu is a raw mango pickle that is Indian condiment made with Raw Mangos. Khattu means tangy and Athanu or Achaar means pickle. Pickle means a fruit or vegetable that is preserved in a brine or solution. Born and raised in India, I have seen my grandmother make variety of pickles. Mango Pickle is most commonly eaten across the country. Indian cuisine is diverse hence the Mango Pickle is made many different ways. My grandmother made 7-8 different versions of mango pickles. I grew up eating relishing on all of them and I am glad to be sharing a recipe for Instant Mango Pickle with all of you.
How are Mango Pickles made?
During Mango season, there are variety of mangos available in India. There is a special Raw Mango available that is used to make pickles. It has thin skin and has a tangy taste. The Mangos are washed thoroughly. After chopping the mango, salt and turmeric are added to the mangos. The mangos are then kept in sun for few days to drain the water out of it. Once the mangos are dry and pale, the spices are added to the mangos. Every thing is mixed well and placed in a glass jar with oil. The jar sits outside for 2-3 weeks before the pickle is ready to be eaten.
What can you eat with the pickle?
Pickle or Achaar which a condiment tastes so delicious along with Dal Rice, Parathas, Roti Sabji and so many things. In Gujarat it is eaten with Khakra or Dal Bhat. In south it is eaten with Rice and yogurt and many more things. The beautiful red color and spicy, tangy or sweet tastes adds on to Indian meal. It completes an Indian Thali and adds so much flavors to food.
Instant Khattu Athanu | Raw Mango Pickle
- 1 Raw mango
- Salt as needed
- 5 tsp achaar masala Pickle masala
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup onions
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped into pieces
- Wash the Raw Mango and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Add the Achaar Masala to the raw mango and mix them
- Heat oil in a pan till it releases smoke
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds
- Add Onions and Garlic and let it cook till fragrant and it looses the raw smell
- Add the sizzling oil to the mango and achaar masala mix
- Mix it all together and store it in a glass jar
- Store it outside for 1 days
- Then store in refrigerator for 1 month
- Enjoy with Dal Rice, Parathas, Roti and much more
Click here for the recipe for Tota Keri Chaat
Click here to subscribe to my Youtube channel