Katki is sweet and spicy mango pickle. Katka or Katko in Gujarati means pieces and hence the name Katki. Traditionally this pickle is made over the course of few days as Mangos are first cut into pieces. Then the salt is added and soaked in sun so all the water is drained out. Then spices are mixed in and pickle is made. We are making an instant version that will be stored in the refrigerator. This is Nani’s (maternal grandmother’s) recipe that is extremely close to my heart. We visited my Nani and Nana during summer vacations and this pickle was made during the mango season. It tastes so well with so many things.
How to cut the Mangos?
I used a Chop Wizard to cut the mangos as I wanted equal sized pieces. It was a time saver and the pieces were uniform.
How to mix the mangos?
Mix together the spice along with the raw mangos and jaggery and let it sit with the Saran Wrap and let it sit on the counter. The jaggery will melt in 3-4 hours because of the heat from the mangos and the salt.
Final steps to make the pickle
Once it melts mix it well and store it in refrigerator for unto 1 month and enjoy it with so many things. You can pair it along with Dhokla, Handva, Uttapam, Thepla and much more.
Instant Katki Keri nu Athanu | Indian Mango Pickle
- 1 cup diced raw mango
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1 and 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the raw mangoes into uniform small pieces
- In a bowl add the mangos
- Add salt, red chili powder, cumin coriander powder and turmeric powder
- Add jaggery or pieces of jaggery
- Mix everything well
- Cover it with Saran Wrap and let it sit on the counter for 3-4 hours and mix using a spoon in between if needed
- Once the jaggery melts store it in refrigerator for unto 1 month
- Enjoy Katki right away
Click here for the recipe for Instant Khattu Athanu
Click here to subscribe to my Youtube channel