Stuffed Gunda nu Athanu is a must try during summer. Gunda which is also called Glueberry or Flavored Manjack is a summer fruit. It is called Glueberry because it has glue like texture inside it along with the seed. Even though it is a fruit we make a shaak with it. Gunda nu shaak is one of my favorite shaak and so is Gunda nu Athanu. It has anti diabetic property and is good for chest pain and colic pain.
How to buy Gunda?
The season is usually March to June. They should be green in color and have minimum black spots on them. You need to make sure Gundas are ripe so when you touch them you will see if they are soft or hard.
How to clean and deseed Gunda?
Wash the Gundas thoroughly. Using palm of hands press the Gunda if it is ripe, the seed will pop out and it will crack. You can also use something heavy like hammer or a back of your bowl to slam it. Deseed the Gunda and then they are ready to use.
Stuffed Gunda nu Athanu | Glueberry Pickle
- 10 pieces of Gunda
- 1/2 cup Shredded raw mango
- 3/4 cup Achaar masala
- 1 cup mustard oil
- Make sure the Gundas are ripe and wash them thoroughly
- Using your palm of your hands press the Gunda so the seed can come out. If it is difficult to take it out use something heavy to slam on it for the seed to come out. Be careful not to hurt yourself
- In a bowl shred raw mango
- Add Achaar masala to the raw mango and mix it well
- Now take each gunda and stuff it with shredded mango and Achaar masala mixture. Stuff the mixture till the Gunda is filled completely and do that for all them
- In a glass jar place some oil at the bottom along with 1/2 tsp of achaar masala
- Add the stuffed Gunda pieces to the glass jar
- Using the back of the spoon make space in the pickle and fill it up with oil
- Leave the pickle outside on the counter for 24 hours
- After 24 hours you can store the pickle in the refrigerator for 1 month.
- Enjoy the pickle with Thepla, Dal Rice, Puri or your Thali
Click here for Katki nu Athanu recipe
Click here to click on my Youtube channel