Fajeto is a ripe Mango and Yogurt based Gujarati curry. It is also called Mango Kadhi or Aam Ras Kadhi. It tastes sweet, spicy, tangy and pairs really well with the rice. This Mango Curry is so easy to make and tastes absolutely amazing. It is usually made during Mango season but given a choice I can eat this 365 days.
Gujaratis are known not to waste food and that is how Fajeto was derived. Once the mango was cut, and pulp was removed the seeds would have some mango stuck to it. To save the waste, mango seeds would be dipped in water and the extra pulp would be washed off in that water. Then water would be strained and yogurt would be added to make a Gujarati mango kadhi.
Keri Jamad has been a family tradition for years. Every year during mango season we would invite entire extended family and enjoy Mango pulp along with all the delicacies. The thali would include, Keri no Ras, Fajeto, Farsan, Gunda nu shak, sambharo, athanu and so much more. This Gujarati mango flavored kadhi is one of my favorites.
My Nani’s method
My nani would take all the mango seeds also called gotla or guthliya that no one would like to eat. She would dip them in water to wash them so she can use every bit of the pulp. This is also an amazing zero waste dish as we end up using entire mango.
Alternative method make Fajeto
If you do not want to squeeze out the pulp from the seeds you can use mango . Add yogurt, water and chickpea flour and form it into a semi thick liquid mixture.
How to make Fajeto?
If you take a full fat yogurt, adjust and use more water. If you use low fat yogurt add more chickpea flour and less water. The consistency should be little thicker than Gujarati dal. The taste should be sweet, tangy and sour. If the mango are sour then do not add lime juice. If the mango are less sweet then add more jaggery. Sometimes when you use mango seeds it may not give you enough mango flavor then add some pulp to adjust the flavor.
Whisk, sauce pan, strainer
Room temperature for 3-4 hours or refrigerate for 1 day and add water if it thickens.
Serve it hot with cooked rice or on a thali along with keri no ras
You can skip the chickpea flour and use a corn flour or any thickening flour instead. Mango water mixture can be skipped and you can put mango pulp instead. I have shared alternative methods of making it. You can use sugar instead of jaggery to add additional sweetness. You can also choose to skip jaggery or sugar if you do not like it sweet.
Try the mango before making fajeto, if it is sour then balance with more jaggery, if it is sweet then balance with additional juice. Every mango tastes difference hence it is important to know the mango flavor before making fajeto. You can use kesar, alphonso or any type of mango to make Fajeto.
Fajeto is confused with mango dal but this particular recipe does not contain any lentils or dal.
Fajeto | Ripe Mango Kadhi
- 3/4 th cup mango pulp or 1 cup strained mango water
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter milk or 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies slit in half
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 strand of cinnamon broken into 2 pieces
- 2 dry red Kashmiri chilies
- In a bowl add 1 cup of water and add the cut out 6-8 mango seeds
- Wash the seeds squeezing the remaining mango pulp out of the seeds in the water
- Once you wash all the seeds thoroughly, strain the water
- Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt to the strained 1 cup of mango water mixture
- Add chickpea flour and whisk it till a thickened yogurt, mango and water mixture forms and there are no lumps
- Take 3/4th cup of Mango Pulp
- Add 1 cup of butter milk and 1 tablespoon of chickpea flour and whisk it till a thickened yogurt, mango and water mixture forms and there are no lumps
- Once you have a mixture, heat a saucepan
- Add the mixture to the saucepan and let it heat for few minutes
- Add salt, red chili powder, slit green chilies, and turmeric powder
- Let it simmer for few minutes and add 2 cups of water and jaggery
- In a tadka pan, heat ghee
- Add cumin seeds, asafetida powder, curry leaves , cloves, cinnamon sticks and dry red chilies
- Let it sizzle and then pour the tadka in the saucepan over yogurt mango mixture
- Let it simmer for few minutes and then squeeze fresh lime juice
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it along with hot steaming rice or enjoy along with your thali
Here is the recipe for instant keri nu athanu to enjoy during mango season
Click here to subscribe to my Youtube channel