When I was growing up in Mumbai, we had an Idli wala who would come to deliver fresh Idlis and chutney to our apartment building every morning. He would travel with lot of Idlis. Even today when we go back to visit, we wait for him to come so can devour in those Idlis. The chutney tastes different from normal South Indian restaurant but it would defintely taste so good. We usually dip the entire Idli in the pool of the chutney and enjoy them. I am sharing my mother in laws recipe of the same chutney and this one tastes exactly the same as Idliwala.
- 1 cup split bengal gram
- 1 cup shredded frozen coconut I used deep brand
- salt as needed
- 5 green chillies or as per taste
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp udad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- Grind the bengal gram first in the blender and it should be coarse and not fine. Then add shredded coconut, salt, green chillies and water. Adjust the salt and water as required. Remove the chutney in a bowl.
- Heat oil on medium heat for few minutes. Once the oil is hot, add udad dal and mustard seeds. Let the dal turn brown and mustard seeds crackle and add curry leaves. Once the curry leaves harden, turn off the stove and pour the tadka over the chutney and then mix it well.
- Enjoy the chutney with Idli, Dosa or any South Indian food.
Leave A Comment