Every time anyone in our family catches a cold, we make Bajra ni Raab. It is nutritious and my Dadi always said that it will build your immunity to fight the cold. You can make this simple drink in less than 5 minutes. We drink this several times a day especially when any of us are fighting cold.
If you visit Rajasthan, you will find this Raab at most places during winter months. Born and raised in jain family, we grew up drinking Raab after paryushan when we broke our fast. If you are a nursing mom, you can consume this Raab as it helps to create heat in the body to produce milk.
Bajra ni Raab | Bajre ki Raab
So why Bajra ni Raab? All the ingredients generates heat in our body. This raab contains Bajra, ginger powder(soonth), carom seeds (ajwain), gud (jaggery) and kesar (saffron). It is cooked with pure ghee that helps digesting all the ingredients. This raab is sweet and will give you warm and earthy feeling. Checkout the recipe below and don’t forget to save it.
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 tsp ajwain carom seeds
- 3 tablespoon bajra flour pearl miller flour
- 1 tsp soonth dry ginger powder
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoon crushed jaggery 1 large cube
- 8-10 strands of kesar saffron
- Heat a pan on medium heat
- Add ghee and let it melt
- Add ajwain (carom seeds) and let it sizzle
- Add bajra flour and using spatula cook the flour till it loosens and changes color to light red
- Once it changes color and it is fragrant, add water and mix it
- Add jaggery and ginger powder to the water and let it simmer on medium heat
- Once the jaggery melt and raab thickens a little, add kesar strands and mix it well
- Serve the Raab warm
Click here for the recipe for Mag or Whole Moong Dal also served at Jain Parna
Click here to subscribe to my Youtube Channel
Leave A Comment