Sev Tamatar Ki Subzi
I am born and raised in a jain family and this week we are trying to observe paryushan and making jain and paryushan friendly dishes at home. If I have to share my favorite paryushan recipe then it is Sev Tamatar Ki Subzi. My dad and I am huge fan of dish. My mom made this very often even when we were not observing paryushan. It’s very easy to make and requires minimum ingredients that are usually in your pantry. I can literally have this as my comfort meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing powder
- 4 medium sized plum tomatoes diced into pieces
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup sev
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- salt as needed
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat, then add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add hing powder.
- Then add tomatoes and salt and sauté the tomatoes till it softens a little. Then add water to the tomatoes and let the water boil till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and sugar. Once the spices are mixed well, add sev and turn off the stove and serve with rotis ans rice
If you are making this ahead of time, then don’t add the sev till you are ready to eat. You can reheat the water- tomatoes mixture and add the sev right before serving.