Jowar Dhani Chivda is a healthy snack. It can be eaten when you are trying to loose weight as it is low in calories compared to other fried snack. This popcorn look alike snack is so nutritious and glutenfree. It is readily available in March and April which marks the arrival of spring. It is also used in Holika fire for prayers that are performed during this festival. My son likes to eat this healthy snack thinking that he is eating popcorn. You can travel with this snack or even pack it for school lunch box. It is a signature dish eaten during Holi festival.
How to cook the Dhani ?
When you are making the chevdo, you can also add papad. In my household we never added papad hence giving the recipe I grew up eating. I added peanuts but if someone is allergic you can replace that with other nuts. The juwar dhani that is available in USA already has salt in it so be mindful adding salt. When cooking the Dhani, please cook it on low flame to prevent it from getting burnt. You may have to roast for 15 minutes as it takes longer to get crispy unlike Mumbra. It is healthy, light and so delicious.
Jowar Dhani Chevdo | Puffed Sorghum snack
- Jowar Dhani Puffed Sorghum 16 cups
- Salt as needed
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp asafetida hing powder
- 6-8 green chilies slit in 1/2
- 15 curry leaves
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup dalia split bengal gram
- 1/2 cup peanuts optional
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- eat oil in a wide pan, add peanuts and Dalia and let it roast for 5-6 minutes
- Add curry leaves and green chilies and let it sizzle
- Add turmeric powder, salt, asafetida powder and red chili powder and mix it well
- Once the peanuts crunch up and curry leaves become crispy add the Jowar dhani
- On low heat toss the dhani till it is crunchy, this should take 15-20 minutes
- It can store in an airtight container for 10-15 days
Recipe for Cereal no Chevdo
Click here to click on my Youtube channel