It took me a while to perfect this recipe and now I can proudly say that I have nailed the recipe that brings out the right texture in the airfried version.The flavors of falafel and the texture are bang on and you will not miss the fried version after trying it this way. My husband who is a huge fan of falafels has approved this recipe 100%.This recipe is completely vegan and you can pair it with tahini instead of yogurt sauce. I have tried the jain version as well by skipping onions and garlic and it turns out just as good. We paired our falafels with pita pockets and yogurt sauce and spicy garlic sauce.
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup uncooked garbanzo soaked for 8 hours and drain all water and pat dry
- 1 cup parsley leaves chopped
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tsp cumin cilantro powder
- green chillies as needed
- 3/4 tsp salt or as needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 baking powder when baking
- 3/4 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Grind everything in food processor except baking powder and all purpose flour. The texture should be course. Put the mixture in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight. (I left it overnight )
- Add 3/4 tbsp all purpose flour and baking powder next day to the mixture right before air frying or baking the falafels and adjust the salt if needed.
- Air fry or bake at 410 deg Fahrenheit in convection oven or Air fryer for 20 min flipping in between also brush with olive oil if needed and use parchment paper so they don’t stick to the tray
- For Jain version skip onions and garlic and it turns out super delicious, tried and tested.
- Fill up your Pita breads or pockets with salad and falafels and top it off with yogurt sauce and spicy garlic sauce